More than 975,000 New Jersey residents are planning a Memorial Day trip, part of more than 39 million Americans taking a weekend getaway to kick off the summer, the highest travel volume in more than a decade. (dailyrecord.com)
As we begin this Memorial Day weekend across New jersey, many of us are looking forward to barbecues, parades or maybe even some time at the Jersey shore. For those of you planning to hit the New Jersey Turnpike, Garden State Parkway or other New Jersey highways on this holiday weekend, there are some important things that drivers need to be aware of.
As New Jersey's car accident lawyers, we at Mintz & Geftic know all too well that holiday weekends tend to bring about some of the most hazardous conditions we ever see on the roads. Unfortunately, reports are indicating that this Memorial Day Weekend will be no exception.
TOP 5 THINGS TO KNOW THIS MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND
The kickoff of summer is an exciting time for all of us, but this weekend also marks the annual start of the 100 deadliest days for drivers. Here are some facts to keep in mind and please remember to always put down that cellphone while driving.
- A new report by the National Safety Council estimates that 409 Americans will be killed on the road this Memorial Day weekend, the highest number since 2009 and about 100 more than in 2014. Another 47,000 will suffer from serious accident injuries.
- The report estimates that 159 lives may be saved this weekend if drivers wear their seat belt.
- AAA estimates that about 90 percent of New Jersey travelers expect to make their way by car, for a total of about 880,000 people, up 2 percent from last year. Nationally, 38 million will travel by automobile (dailyrecord.com).
- Booze is a big factor in all accident deaths and injuries this weekend; 44 percent of all traffic fatalities that occur over Memorial Day weekend are alcohol-related (yahoo.com
- Texting behind the wheel is the behavior most likely to induce road rage from fellow motorists, according to a new survey conducted on behalf of Expedia. Tailgaters and left-lane hogs tied for second place in terms of aggravating people on the roads (time.com)
Memorial Day - The True Meaning
Lastly, and most importantly, we at Mintz & Geftic wanted to express our gratitude to all of the service members that have lost their lives fighting for our freedom. In addition, we send our thoughts to the loved ones of soliders that sacrificed their lives on all of our behalf. While road trips and barbecues have become a traditional part of this weekend, we should always rememeber what this holiday truly symbolizes.
Elizabeth, New Jersey Motor Vehicle Accident Lawyers
We give personal attention to all of our clients. If you or a loved one has been injured in a motor vehicle accident, call us today at 908-352-2323 or send us email by clicking here to evaluate your case.
Our car accident injury lawyers serve clients throughout New Jersey and New York, including the cities of Newark, Elizabeth, Jersey City, Hackensack, and Morris, Bergen, Hudson, Union and Middlesex counties. We have offices in Elizabeth, New Jersey and New York City.