One of our resolutions for 2017 is to write some blog posts that aren't centered around gloom and/or doom. Well, I guess we'll have to try harder next time....
New Jersey Traffic Deaths Increasing
New Jersey traffic accidents lead to over 600 people tragically dying in 2016, according to a report released this week by the New Jersey state police.
The number of fatalities occurring on the highways of New Jersey had been declining for several years, reaching a 20-year low back in 2013. However, since that time, the numbers are unfortunately trending back up and traffic experts have been pointing to a few primary reasons:
- drugged driving - motorists take medications that affect their ability to operate a vehicle
- driver fatigue - a major problem that we have discussed in the past when it comes to bus and truck drivers
- distracted driving - We have wrote about this many times on our site. Drivers just can't seem to put down their cellphones, often texting while driving or even using facetime behind the wheel.
New Jersey Deadly Accidents in 2016 - The Numbers
You can find the full reports for last year and previous years here on the State Police website. Below are some key numbers that stood out to us as Elizabeth, New Jersey accident lawyers.
Fatal Crashes and Fatalities
- The total number of fatal crashes in 2016: 576 (54 more deadly accidents than 2015)
- The total number of fatalities from these crashes in 2016: 607 (45 more fatalities than 2015)
Breakdown of Victims in New Jersey Fatal Accidents
- 333 were drivers of motor vehicles
- 90 were passengers
- 18 were pedalcyclists
- 166 were pedestrians- Studies have shown that pedestrian accident rates increase as distracted driving frequency increases
New Jersey Fatal Accidents - Breakdown by New Jersey County
|Cape May County||12||11|
Check Out Our Video: THE TOP 5 THINGS TO DO IF YOU ARE IN A CAR ACCIDENT
Elizabeth, New Jersey Accident Injury Lawyers
We give personal attention to all of our clients. If you or a loved one has been injured in a truck accident, car accident or a distracted driving crash, call us today at 908-352-2323. If you prefer contacting our accident lawyers via email, please click here.
Our car and truck accident injury lawyers serve clients throughout New Jersey and New York. This includes the cities of Newark, Elizabeth, Union and Jersey City. We cover Morris, Bergen, Hudson, Union and Middlesex counties. Our accident lawyers have offices in Elizabeth, New Jersey and in New York City.